Friday, January 2, 2015

Blog Challenge: Day 2.

Five Super Cool Things about Your City or Town

I was born and raised in Portland, OR. I absolutely love this place and would recommend everyone visit at least once!

It is widely believed that it rains ALL THE TIME here, but it doesn't rain nearly as much as you might think. Don't get me wrong. When it rains, it RAINS! But we have many, many days that it doesn't rain at all.

Not to mention, with all the rain comes green landscapes that will take your breath away.

The five things that I love so much about my city are:

1. It is one of the smallest big cities I have ever been to. What I mean by this, is there are so many things to do, but it is all so condensed. Everyone is friendly, there aren't any parts that are too off putting, and there are things for EVERYONE to do. I have lived here for 26 years and I have yet to run out of things to do, however, I also know my way around extremely well. It is so much fun showing new people around the city! Everything is at your finger tips.


2. There is nature, and green EVERYWHERE. Because we are in the Pacific Northwest we tend to be a much wetter climate, and with that comes green forests, parks, gardens, flowers. We have some of the most beautiful landscape in the world. We are surrounded by it. And with that comes a need and a drive to be a green city as well. I have heard people comment that we are one of the cleanest cities they have been to. People do their part to keep the wonderful environment we are blessed with just that way.

3. Mt. Hood. We have access to an amazing mountain community that touches on all your snow sport needs. Snow shoeing, snowboarding, skiiing, intertubbing, hiking, cabins in the snow, hot chocolate at the lodge. We have it all, and it is only about a 50 minute drive from the heart of the city. Not to mention the view isn't too bad either!


4. The ocean. Specifically to beach towns. Here, it is often referred to as the coast, but any way you spin it, we are blessed to have an entire shoreline of public beaches for everyone to enjoy. Unlike some places in the US and the world, every stretch of Oregon Beach is public access. Towns like Cannon Beach, Newport, Astoria, and dozens in between offer the small beach town feel that is as close as a 90 minute drive from the city. Got a dog? Head to the coast. Got some children? Head to the coast. Want a romantic weekend? Head to the coast. Need some time to breathe and reflect? Head to the coast. My heart is at the Oregon Coast.


5. The drinks. This may sound a little strange, but believe me, Portland, OR is known for a plethora of drinks. The Willamette Valley is home to some of the most famous vineyards in the world. People come and visit specifically for the wine country we offer. We also have an amazing niche in the coffee industry. Stumptown Coffee? That is from Portland, OR. And finally, probably to most well knows is our breweries. Rogue Brewery, McMenamin's Pubs, Widmer Brothers Brewing. Come and stop in. I suggest the Maple Bacon Beer from Rogue Brewery, named after the famous VooDoo Donut.  


Gosh! I could go on and on. There are so many more things that just five! But this is a good start. Maybe I will dedicate a post to some more of the things I love about Portland, OR. I think I will always love it here. I have an itch to move somewhere new and try to new things, like most people do, but I will always love Portland, and will always want to come back.

No comments:

Post a Comment